Tuesday 8 February 2011

Living in England - The 10 Best Things

Seventeen years ago I relocated to England from the USA to marry my English soulmate. It was quite a culture shock moving in March from a nice, sunny Phoenix to a cold, rainy England. What was I thinking? I'd have to learn to drive again, they speak differently, I was leaving my social network, and on and on.
However, love prevailed and here I am 17 years later, enjoying the English countryside and way of life. It hasn't always been an easy road, but changing your life never is. Life is what we make of it and I can tell you from experience that if you are considering a move to a different country to start a new life adventure, go for it!
It took me three years to stop fighting the English way of life. During that time, I questioned everything that was done. Then the penny dropped. I did learn to drive again, I've attended pantomimes, enjoy wandering around carboot sales and have a good understanding of the language, although Cockney Rhyming Slang still throws me.
We're now considering a move back to the US to start a new adventure together. But, before we do, I think it's important from an American viewpoint to list the top 10 things I really like about England and what I'll miss about this great country.

1. National Health Service -- I don't pay to go see my doctor and I can't remember the last time I made an actual appointment. With open surgery hours, I've gone and waited a maximum of a half hour. the only person I do make an appointment with is the nurse if I need something minor done, like my ears cleaned. All prescriptions are currently £7.20 no matter what it is.

2. Tax included in the advertised price -- You pay what the pricetag says. No tax added at the till.

3. Pubs -- Living in the country has many rewards, but being able to bring our dogs to have a meal in the pub is a plus. There are so many great pubs in remote, unusual places. They have great stories and history attached to them and are a joy to explore.

4. Tipping Policy -- In pubs, one orders at the bar and pays at the same time. Your food is brought to your table. It's completely up to you if you want to tip but it's not expected. And if you do, it's about 10%. In restaurants, many times a service charge is already added to the bill and if you want to add more, again it's up to you. The waiter/waitress never hovers or has an expectant look. However, they are very appreciative if you do tip more.

5. Portions Served in Restaurants -- Meal prices are reasonable and the portions are sensible. Doggie bags or take home containers are not the norm.

6. Local Eggs / Vegetables / Fruit -- I buy my eggs from a farm down the road. Depending on what time of year it is, I also buy various fruit and vegetables. I pay on the honour system. There's generally a little container of some sort and prices are written on a piece of paper. I pay less than the grocery store, know where the food comes from and it's tastier!

7. Sunday Trading Hours -- Large stores close at 4 or 4:30 on Sundays. This allows for family time, Sunday lunches, recreational pursuits, etc. Sundays are usually busy days on bike paths, beaches, woods walks, etc. It's a chance for people to turn off and enjoy.

8. Holiday Time -- Typically when someone starts working for a company, they get 25 days off a year, plus bank holidays. Coming from America I find that fantastic!

9. Open Countryside -- There are so many places to ramble, bike, picnic, hike, etc. Thanks in good part to the National and Wildlife Trusts, we can enjoy coastal paths, woods walks, beaches, and wide open spaces. They're protected from buildings and open for all to enjoy.

10. Local Services -- Our household rubbish and recycling are picked up on alternating weeks courtesy of the local council. The "tips" are where we can go to discard garden waste, old appliances, and anything that doesn't fit into the wheely bins. This is free and encouraged for recycling benefits.

There may be other things I'm forgetting. However, these points are sure to be missed once I'm away from them.
England has a great deal to offer and I hope this list will either be a reminder of what is here or an encouragement for people to come and experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment